Who I AM

My photo
Hello everyone, I am 23 years old and a Physical Education. I graduated from SUNY CORTLAND upstate New York. I am currently getting my masters in HPER at Emporia State University in Kansas.I currently work at Malverne High School as a leave replacement for physical education. I also teach 1 health and physical education class at the middle school for their district. I love volleyball and I am very competitive. I like challenges and being pushed to my limits. I've done some amazing DVD workouts such as Insanity and Insanity Asylum and P90X2. They can change your physical appearance tremendously. Your results are based on what you give in, how much you will push yourself, how much pain you can take and keep pushing knowing it will only benefit you. How much sweat are you willing to sweat? I believe that every person in this world can make a difference in a positive way, my way is by teaching. This blog is mainly from my undergraduate degree but I tend to add more post as I continue my career.

February 5, 2012

Toss Salad The New Term..So Long Melting Pot

I was told before that the term "melting pot" should no longer be associated with America. I didn't understand why, and I was not sure if this was true. After reading chapter 3, I learned that America is no longer a melting pot.  When you talk about the cultural, racial, or ethnic differences at a social gathering, or even in a more challenging environment such as a work environment, things can get heated. This is a very debatable and sensitive subject to all, and therefore is often avoided.  Many people live in silence about race and ethnicity. The Statue of Liberty is known to open her arms to the world's immigrants. A "melting pot" is the fusion of all races. How can America be known as a "melting pot", if we have states and even towns that are segregated? Where I live, it is mostly a white community, but spanish and latinos are migrating into it. I've heard that my community is getting "bad." This is a very racial statement and assumption. Just because they are a different skin color does not necessarily make them "bad." This is a prime example of a stereo-typing situation. The new term for America is a "tossed salad". This represents cultural pluralism. This entails that some groups, either voluntarily or involuntarily, have been able to maintain their culture and language, and these group differences should be understood, appreciated, and even honored. They should not have to forget about their own personal cultural backgrounds and become the American "superman." A tossed salads ingredients still keep their distinctive flavors. The problem in todays schools is figuring out how to educate our increasingly diverse students equally. This links to the different learning types and disabilities.  Some students need more time learning a subject than others. Should we separate students according to their ability, color, race, or beliefs? This can spark a huge debate and even one terrible argument. I personally believe we should incorporate everyone together like one big family and make the necessary adjustments to help the students who need the extra assistance after school or during free periods.

No comments:

Post a Comment