Who I AM

My photo
Hello everyone, I am 23 years old and a Physical Education. I graduated from SUNY CORTLAND upstate New York. I am currently getting my masters in HPER at Emporia State University in Kansas.I currently work at Malverne High School as a leave replacement for physical education. I also teach 1 health and physical education class at the middle school for their district. I love volleyball and I am very competitive. I like challenges and being pushed to my limits. I've done some amazing DVD workouts such as Insanity and Insanity Asylum and P90X2. They can change your physical appearance tremendously. Your results are based on what you give in, how much you will push yourself, how much pain you can take and keep pushing knowing it will only benefit you. How much sweat are you willing to sweat? I believe that every person in this world can make a difference in a positive way, my way is by teaching. This blog is mainly from my undergraduate degree but I tend to add more post as I continue my career.

February 6, 2012

Super Bowl.. NFL PLAY 60

As the 2nd quarter for the Super bowl ended, I had won the first two quarters for the pool that I was in.  I watched the half time show in excitement and I saw a young boy wear a "play 60" shirt. The NFL Play 60 is the National Football League campaign to encourage kids to be active for 60 minutes a day in order to help reverse the trend of childhood obesity. Childhood obesity has nearly tripled in the past 30 years. An estimated 17 percent of children and adolescents (ages 2-19 years) are obese in the U.S. Obese children are at risk for numerous health problems during their youth and into adulthood. Children who are obese are more likely to have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and Type 2 diabetes. Not to mention the psychological toll obesity has on children, which can lead to drug and alcohol abuse, depression, eating disorders and other health issues. Children need to be active and eat healthier. Many students do not get the 60 minutes a day that they need. Video games and too many fast food restaurants are the cause of this. Now they are making Exergames which involve movement of the players for the system to work. This is a great way to get those kids who love video games to become more active. Also how can cutting physical education from schools when the epidemic of obesity is only rising be beneficial? I think "play 60" is a great organization that we are thankful to have. I am become a physical educator because I believe I can motivate all my students to be active outside of my class by joining a sport, participating in an intramural sport, having a pick-up-game with friends, or even working out. Schools must also help out by making the lunches they serve healthier. I know people who used to just eat chips and snacks for lunch, is this really a lunch? More about NFL PLAY 60 Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment