Who I AM

My photo
Hello everyone, I am 23 years old and a Physical Education. I graduated from SUNY CORTLAND upstate New York. I am currently getting my masters in HPER at Emporia State University in Kansas.I currently work at Malverne High School as a leave replacement for physical education. I also teach 1 health and physical education class at the middle school for their district. I love volleyball and I am very competitive. I like challenges and being pushed to my limits. I've done some amazing DVD workouts such as Insanity and Insanity Asylum and P90X2. They can change your physical appearance tremendously. Your results are based on what you give in, how much you will push yourself, how much pain you can take and keep pushing knowing it will only benefit you. How much sweat are you willing to sweat? I believe that every person in this world can make a difference in a positive way, my way is by teaching. This blog is mainly from my undergraduate degree but I tend to add more post as I continue my career.

January 29, 2012

Learning Is Not Really What You Thought...

When I am trying to learn something, such as new material, I take notes, study in the same area, and focus on one topic for plenty of hours. According to Robert Bjorkprofessor of psychology, this is actually the wrong way to learn. I read this article and it caught my attention. All my methods for preparing myself for a test are not the most efficient . When I study, I like to focus on one specific topic area. I will not change topics until I become proficient in that area. In retrospect I am actually wasting my time because I won't fully absorb all the information. It is better to do smaller segments of each topic. Mr.Bjork talks about interleaving, when you are learning to do something, you want to interleave certain topics that are a like together. You do not want to change to a completely different topic.  “People tend to think that learning is building up something in your memory, and that forgetting is losing the things you built. But in some respects the opposite is true," Mr Bjork is correct about this, if you remind me of something I learned already, I will pick it up reasonably fast, but if you tell me to learn something new, it will take longer to absorb. 


I am going to try the new techniques that I learned from this article. I will space out my studying and actually study in different areas. The way that I have been studying now works fairly decent for me, but I want to try and improve and see if it helps. I am looking forward to spacing out my studying and not devoting hours upon hours on one subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment