Who I AM

My photo
Hello everyone, I am 23 years old and a Physical Education. I graduated from SUNY CORTLAND upstate New York. I am currently getting my masters in HPER at Emporia State University in Kansas.I currently work at Malverne High School as a leave replacement for physical education. I also teach 1 health and physical education class at the middle school for their district. I love volleyball and I am very competitive. I like challenges and being pushed to my limits. I've done some amazing DVD workouts such as Insanity and Insanity Asylum and P90X2. They can change your physical appearance tremendously. Your results are based on what you give in, how much you will push yourself, how much pain you can take and keep pushing knowing it will only benefit you. How much sweat are you willing to sweat? I believe that every person in this world can make a difference in a positive way, my way is by teaching. This blog is mainly from my undergraduate degree but I tend to add more post as I continue my career.

January 20, 2012

Satisfactions And Complaints Of Todays Teachers

If you go up to any teacher and ask them,"what is a satisfaction you have about teaching" I am almost positive they would say something along the lines as, the students, working with children, and being home for the holidays.
If you ask teachers for the complaints they have I'm sure they can rattle off a ton. As this question sparked my mind, I did a little research on this topic and found this article, "10 Most Common Complaints Among Today’s Teachers" you can read it at: (http://www.universityreviewsonline.com/2011/03/10-most-common-complaints-among-todays-teachers.html). The article is fairly interesting and caught my attention. I will talk about of the few top things that I believe are a true complaint.
Number one on the list is being OverworkedI completely agree. Teaching is not a easy job. You work about an average of 7 hours a day, if you coach it is about 10 hours away. Some people do work more in other profession but as a teacher you have deal with all your students. Some students go to school to make their teachers jobs miserable, I seen it it myself personally. They act up and don't do their work and in a PE setting, they won't participate. It is our job to motivate them all the time. The amount of time teachers put in for lesson planning and figuring out how to make the classes run smoothly can be pretty hectic.
Number two on the list is under-apprediated. This coincides with number one. Us teachers work 180 days out of the year and usually don't even get a single thank you card. It would mean a lot to a teacher if a parent sent us a thank you card for educating their children. How much time does it take to make, or buy a simple thank you care, not a lot. The meaning behind it would be tremendous though. Also how often do the teachers get observed by principles, super intendants or someone of high power, rarely. The handwork I will be putting in as my education goes along, I would love to be observed everyday, to me this shows appreciations that they take time out of their day to watch you.
Another complaint that I see greatly in my eyes is number 9, Layoffs. This is terrible especially for first year teachers. They would be the first to get laid off. I personally know some teachers who are great people, friendly and the students love them, but in the education world and the knowledge they present completely sucks.  They do have plenty  of years under their belt and are tenured, so they usually slip through the cracks. This is something that should be changed and you can have a huge debate on the topic it self. I think they should have to at least go back to a class once a week or even a month to refresh there things about the "NEW PE" and not what they learned which was the "OLD PE" in some cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment