Who I AM

My photo
Hello everyone, I am 23 years old and a Physical Education. I graduated from SUNY CORTLAND upstate New York. I am currently getting my masters in HPER at Emporia State University in Kansas.I currently work at Malverne High School as a leave replacement for physical education. I also teach 1 health and physical education class at the middle school for their district. I love volleyball and I am very competitive. I like challenges and being pushed to my limits. I've done some amazing DVD workouts such as Insanity and Insanity Asylum and P90X2. They can change your physical appearance tremendously. Your results are based on what you give in, how much you will push yourself, how much pain you can take and keep pushing knowing it will only benefit you. How much sweat are you willing to sweat? I believe that every person in this world can make a difference in a positive way, my way is by teaching. This blog is mainly from my undergraduate degree but I tend to add more post as I continue my career.

February 5, 2012

Stereotyping..We All Do It

Taken From Google.com

http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/s/stereotyping.asp
Everyone has some point in their life stereotyped. Stereotypes are generalizations, or assumptions, that people make based the characteristics of all members of a group, based on an image (often wrong) about what people in that group are like. To me, stereotyping is wrong. Everyone is raised and brought up differently and how they act molds them into who they are. They should not be stereotyped because they are not like you. If you want to be original and do something differently, you are automatically stereotyped. People are stereotyped by their race, skin, clothing, music, gender, wealth and etc. Half of white Americans endorses common stereotypes and blacks and hispanics, such as the belief that they are not very intelligent. This is not true, the fact that African Americans in a class know that if they answer a question wrong they will be stereotyped and they do not want this so they won't participate. Taking standardized tests and asking students to simply record their race has effected the students grades. When an individual is aware of stereotyping, he or she is more likely to behave like the stereotype then if it did not exist. Stereotyping is the worlds hopeless act. It will never change and it will live on until the extinction of the earth.  As a future teacher, I learned that you can diminish the threat of stereotypes by ensuring that your curriculum represents diversity across race, ethnicity, gender, religion, and socioeconomic class. You can confront the problem directly: explain stereotype threat in class and explore with your students strategies to neutralize it. You never want to ignore the damage that stereotypes can have.

No comments:

Post a Comment