Who I AM

My photo
Hello everyone, I am 23 years old and a Physical Education. I graduated from SUNY CORTLAND upstate New York. I am currently getting my masters in HPER at Emporia State University in Kansas.I currently work at Malverne High School as a leave replacement for physical education. I also teach 1 health and physical education class at the middle school for their district. I love volleyball and I am very competitive. I like challenges and being pushed to my limits. I've done some amazing DVD workouts such as Insanity and Insanity Asylum and P90X2. They can change your physical appearance tremendously. Your results are based on what you give in, how much you will push yourself, how much pain you can take and keep pushing knowing it will only benefit you. How much sweat are you willing to sweat? I believe that every person in this world can make a difference in a positive way, my way is by teaching. This blog is mainly from my undergraduate degree but I tend to add more post as I continue my career.

March 28, 2012

Healthy Snack Or Bucket Full Of Trouble


Taken From Google
As I was navigating through Twitter, I came upon a tweet by "Everyday Health" that caught my eye. It said, "why you should be eating popcorn." This immediately caught my eye because from what I had heard and assumed that popcorn is not a healthy snack. As I read the article I learned a lot. A recent study has proven that the whole-grain treat contains more of the "good for you" antioxidants called polypenols than some fruits or vegetables. The polypenols in popcorn are almost doubled than fruits and vegetables. The hulls of popcorn that get stuck in your teeth actually have the highest concentration of polypenols and fiber. "One serving of popcorn will provide more than 70 percent of the daily intake of whole grain. The average person only gets about half a serving of whole grains a day, and popcorn could fill that gap in a very pleasant way," Joe Vinson, of the University of Scranton. This information is very useful for me because I do not get enough whole grain. Popcorn can be a bucket full of trouble if you simply add all that butter and salt to give your sweet tooth that extra taste. My problem is that I lean more towards the bucket full of trouble; I load my popcorn with the butter to get the full effect of that wonderful taste. I am now going to try and eat the popcorn with out butter to be on the healthy side. Popcorn is not an excuse to not eat your vegetables or fruits because popcorn lacks vitamins and other nutrients.  I found this article really fascinating because I never knew popcorn could be a healthy snack. I envisioned popcorn like most of the world does soaking in butter and just clogging your arteries waiting for that ticking time bomb of a heart attack to explode.  When you are at the movies and about to load that butter on... think twice. You can find out more EverydayHealth.

No comments:

Post a Comment