Who I AM

My photo
Hello everyone, I am 23 years old and a Physical Education. I graduated from SUNY CORTLAND upstate New York. I am currently getting my masters in HPER at Emporia State University in Kansas.I currently work at Malverne High School as a leave replacement for physical education. I also teach 1 health and physical education class at the middle school for their district. I love volleyball and I am very competitive. I like challenges and being pushed to my limits. I've done some amazing DVD workouts such as Insanity and Insanity Asylum and P90X2. They can change your physical appearance tremendously. Your results are based on what you give in, how much you will push yourself, how much pain you can take and keep pushing knowing it will only benefit you. How much sweat are you willing to sweat? I believe that every person in this world can make a difference in a positive way, my way is by teaching. This blog is mainly from my undergraduate degree but I tend to add more post as I continue my career.

April 19, 2012

John Dewey The Pragmatist

John Dewey at the University of Chicago in 1902.
John Dewey at the University of Chicago in 1902. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
John Dewey was born on October 20th 1859 and died on June first 1952. Dewey is a reformer with a background in philosophy and psychology who taught that people learn best through social interaction in the real world.  He did not believe that the mind could be disciplined through reading Great Books, rather that the mind should be trained to analyze experience thoughtfully and draw conclussions objectively. He saw education as an opportunity to learn how to apply previous experiences in new ways. He believed that students, facing an ever changing world, should master the scientific method: 1. become aware of a problem; 2. define it; 3. propose various hypothesis to solve it; 4. examine the consequences of each hypothesis in the light of previous experiences; and 5. test the most likely solution. I am a big fan of his theories because I believe in building the curriculum around the experiences, interests and abilities of students and encouraging students to work together cooperatively. My philosophy of physical education realtes to him and I will teach my class around his theory. I will get the community involved and take my students on field trips and get them to do research outside of class. Students will work in small groups to obtain information and teach other information while I walk around and assist them for success.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment