Who I AM

My photo
Hello everyone, I am 23 years old and a Physical Education. I graduated from SUNY CORTLAND upstate New York. I am currently getting my masters in HPER at Emporia State University in Kansas.I currently work at Malverne High School as a leave replacement for physical education. I also teach 1 health and physical education class at the middle school for their district. I love volleyball and I am very competitive. I like challenges and being pushed to my limits. I've done some amazing DVD workouts such as Insanity and Insanity Asylum and P90X2. They can change your physical appearance tremendously. Your results are based on what you give in, how much you will push yourself, how much pain you can take and keep pushing knowing it will only benefit you. How much sweat are you willing to sweat? I believe that every person in this world can make a difference in a positive way, my way is by teaching. This blog is mainly from my undergraduate degree but I tend to add more post as I continue my career.

April 18, 2012

Physical Education Philosophy Updated With Dewey And Skinner


Education and Physical Education are two separate things. Most schools and communities look at Education as being the most important thing there is.  I am not putting down education, but Physical Education is equally as important if not more. Physical Education is the center of education because it increases Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor also known as BDNF. This is vital to learning, memory and higher thinking. Physical Education has been proven to increase students test scores. It also teaches you life long values and helps you stay physically fit. Obesity is a rising epidemic and as a future Physical Education teacher, it is my job to help stop this. I feel that it is important for every student to be able to recognize the importance of daily physical activity. Some schools only have PE class once a week, but this must change because Physical Education keeps students active and healthy cognitively. We must promote healthy lifestyles. I hold the tools and skills to help students live a healthy and physically fit lifestyle.
I want to enhance the minds and bodies of my students as well as inspiring them. I will write lesson plans to engage the students interest. It is important for every student to be competent in 6 sports and proficient in 3 before they graduate. I am a firm believer of John Dewey’s beliefs where that education and learning are social and interactive processes, and thus the school itself is a social institution through which social reform can and should take place. He also believed that students thrive in an environment where they are allowed to experience and interact with the curriculum, and all students should have the opportunity to take part in their own learning. Dewey’s philosophies are a very strong depiction of what I endure. The students will understand the benefits of group work and being social interactive with there peers, teachers, and community.
My students will understand that if they don’t have time to workout, they will find the time for illness. I want my students to learn and appreciate the benefits of physical activity. They will engage in healthy practices and be able to perform basic motor skills such as fine and gross motor skills.  Assessments are a vital tool to use in observing students productivity. The students will make goals for themselves for each unit we cover. Psychomotor, cognitive and affective pre test will be given before each unit. Formative test are important to see if the students are progressing and heading towards their goals for the unit. If a student is not, I will take the time to work with them to get them heading towards their goal. Lastly, the unit will finish with a post test to see the students improvement throughout the lesson.
As an instructor it is my responsibility to have different variations for each lesson to hold the students interest. I will have ways to make the activities more advanced for the more athletic students and easier for the less athletic students. I want every students success rate for each activity to be high because every student is a unique individual with physical differences. I believe in B. F. Skinner’s behaviorism theory. Behaviorism is derived from the belief that free will is an illusion, and that human beings are shaped entirely by their environment.  I am for extrinsic rewards and positive reinforcement to promote desired learning. Students enjoy receiving visual and auditory rewards, which promote more interest in becoming physically active. Physical Education should be mandatory for every school and get as much appreciation as the four core subjects: Math, Science, English and History.

No comments:

Post a Comment