Who I AM

My photo
Hello everyone, I am 23 years old and a Physical Education. I graduated from SUNY CORTLAND upstate New York. I am currently getting my masters in HPER at Emporia State University in Kansas.I currently work at Malverne High School as a leave replacement for physical education. I also teach 1 health and physical education class at the middle school for their district. I love volleyball and I am very competitive. I like challenges and being pushed to my limits. I've done some amazing DVD workouts such as Insanity and Insanity Asylum and P90X2. They can change your physical appearance tremendously. Your results are based on what you give in, how much you will push yourself, how much pain you can take and keep pushing knowing it will only benefit you. How much sweat are you willing to sweat? I believe that every person in this world can make a difference in a positive way, my way is by teaching. This blog is mainly from my undergraduate degree but I tend to add more post as I continue my career.

January 22, 2012

NEA vs AFT

Sometimes some people think they know everything about a subject area or a topic. Well, I thought I knew a good amount about teaching, but I was wrong. I had no clue whatsoever there were two organizations that most people choose to protect themselves since they were not under the protection of tenure. My biggest fear is that once I find a job and start my teachings, they will be laying people off and my luck I would be the first to get dismissed from my school.

The Nation Education Association (NEA) and the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) are these organization most people usually choose from. The NEA was created in 1857 and the AFT was created in 1916. Both these groups work to help teachers salaries and the working conditions. The NEA is the largest professional and employee organization in the nation, containing over 3 million members. Being  part of the NEA you will benefit from publications such as the NEA Today, free legal services as well as training opportunities on subjects from technology. The AFT is a smaller organization that is exclusively of teachers, by teacher, and for teachers. AFT supports national standards for teachers, charter schools, and induction programs that enable new teachers to work with master teachers and the active recruitment of people of color into the teaching profession. 

If I had to choose what group to join right now, I would join the AFT. I would choose this organization because I like how they show the nation that through the power if the union the voice of America's teachers will be heard.  I am also for them because I like how the organization is ran exclusively of teachers, by teachers, and for teachers. I feel like I would have a better chance of getting what I want with them. I still want to learn more about these organizations and I further expand my knowledge of education and as I get closer and closer to getting a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment