Who I AM

My photo
Hello everyone, I am 23 years old and a Physical Education. I graduated from SUNY CORTLAND upstate New York. I am currently getting my masters in HPER at Emporia State University in Kansas.I currently work at Malverne High School as a leave replacement for physical education. I also teach 1 health and physical education class at the middle school for their district. I love volleyball and I am very competitive. I like challenges and being pushed to my limits. I've done some amazing DVD workouts such as Insanity and Insanity Asylum and P90X2. They can change your physical appearance tremendously. Your results are based on what you give in, how much you will push yourself, how much pain you can take and keep pushing knowing it will only benefit you. How much sweat are you willing to sweat? I believe that every person in this world can make a difference in a positive way, my way is by teaching. This blog is mainly from my undergraduate degree but I tend to add more post as I continue my career.

March 30, 2012

Sitting Increases Death Rate

As I am typing this I am sitting down at my desk.  I am sure that you are also sitting reading this. Did you know that sitting increases early death rate. Archives of Internal Medicine did a study that consisted of 222,497 Australians adults over the past several years. The adults that sit for more than 11 hours a day had the highest risk for all cause mortality. People who live a sedentary life have a high risk of damaging our health in a variety of different ways. It has been shown to increase the risk of heart disease, obesity, diabetes, dementia, and some cancers.  This relates to my future occupation of being a physical education teacher because my goal is to keep students healthy through physical activity and nutrition. Children need 60 minutes of physical activity a day and some do not get close to this. After reading this article I don't think I can every sit for too long again. I want to live as long as I can and do not want to increase my death chance due to sitting too much. A way to prevent this is to walk more, stand up more, fidget while you work, and make TV time active. During commercials you can get up from laying down or sitting down and do push ups like I do. My father taught me this when I was younger.  Just think about it, an hour long TV show, approx. 10 commercials, 10 push ups during those commercials, that's 100 push ups you can easily accomplish. The study on sitting too long which raises death rate is pretty interesting. You  can find out more at the link, Everydayhealth.com

No comments:

Post a Comment