Who I AM

My photo
Hello everyone, I am 23 years old and a Physical Education. I graduated from SUNY CORTLAND upstate New York. I am currently getting my masters in HPER at Emporia State University in Kansas.I currently work at Malverne High School as a leave replacement for physical education. I also teach 1 health and physical education class at the middle school for their district. I love volleyball and I am very competitive. I like challenges and being pushed to my limits. I've done some amazing DVD workouts such as Insanity and Insanity Asylum and P90X2. They can change your physical appearance tremendously. Your results are based on what you give in, how much you will push yourself, how much pain you can take and keep pushing knowing it will only benefit you. How much sweat are you willing to sweat? I believe that every person in this world can make a difference in a positive way, my way is by teaching. This blog is mainly from my undergraduate degree but I tend to add more post as I continue my career.

April 6, 2012

How I Will Motivate My HS Students

Today in class Prof Yang. asked me a possible interview question, "How would you motivate High School students to participate in PE."  I told him the first few things that poped up into my head since I was not prepared for this, but now that I have time to think about it, I shall explain.....

Taken From Google
I will motivate my students by Extrinsic
 motivation, this is 

all 
the 
external 
factors 
that 
a
 teacher 
can
 control
or
 manipulate 
and
 influences 
the 
desire
 students 
have
 to 
learn.

 Also I will use Intrinsic
 motivation
 which involves 
personal 
factors 
within 
the 
student 
that
 translate 
to 
a 
drive 
for 
acquiring 
knowledge.

 There will be awards for attempting the activity and rewards to being proficient at it. Also a way I will motivate my students is in depth plan my lessons. I will not just wing a lesson, each day I will have a lesson plan that I will spend time on developing. Students will be more interested if my lessons are structured  and informative. Other ways I will make my students more motivated is make the activities success oriented, developmentally
 appropriate,
giving
 students 
a 
choice, 
differentiating 
instruction,
 incorporate peer teachers and cooperative learning, use plenty of stations and definitely include technology such as videos, music, and different equipment that monitors students physical activity levels.  I will set high standards for the students that are achievable for them. When students see that they are expected to perform on a certain level, they will do so.  I will dig deep to get to know everyone of my student as much as I can. This can be done by supporting clubs they are in, watching their games, and communicating with them as much as I can. Students are unmotivated sometimes due to personal issues with friends and family, a teaching previously yelling at them, or they just do not have the energy because of an insufficient  breakfast or lunch. There are plenty of ways to work with teenagers to get them going and motivated. Motivation is not black and white. It involves things we, as teachers can control and things that are out of our control.  We need to know how to reflect on our lessons, make changes, and benefit the students needs. We can motivate moldable minds to achieve amazing results.

No comments:

Post a Comment